Monday, August 2, 2010

No Thank You!

I often do interviews with the media and usually get pretty good stories. Of course, occasionally I do get sucker punched. For example about two years ago I did an interview with Al Jazeera Television. It was beyond horrible! That sometimes happens, although it is rare. Most stories could be better, but they could also be a lot worse. The Newsweek story last year was fairly good, though there were certainly room for improvement.

I have learned to simply brush myself off and move on. If you are going to get in the fray it is expected that occasionally you will get punched.

The National Geographic piece from a few years ago was very good. Some where around an 8 or 9.

But I have also turned down others. Serious news agencies will usually get my nod. However television talk shows are always a “No.” We have turned down Jerry Springer so many times I would think they would get tired of calling. I recall one time time years ago one of the shows called and wanted to do a story on young mothers who will raise their children to be White Nationalists. After speaking with them for a few moments the truth came out. They wanted young girls (14 or 15) who were unmarried and pregnant. Obviously that discussion went no where!

Recently Spike TV called and wanted to do a story. I was told it was to be a new show they were putting together. I am willing to listen and so told them that I would be available for their interview

Today I received their contract which, if I signed, would allow them to film interviews and permission for use of location. The contract said it was for the Greg Giraldo project. Pictured.

That was all I needed to know. Greg Giraldo is a stand up insult comic. It was obvious that there was no serious intent in the show.

I am placing below a copy of the letter to me from Justin Paul a producer for the show and my reply.

I thought you would find it interesting.
_________
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 12:30:35 -0700

Subject: Spike TV Shoot

Pastor Robb,
Jake Holmes forwarded me your email address - I wanted to get in touch with you regarding our upcoming visit to Harrison for our Spike TV show shoot on Friday, August 13.

Can you send me an address of where we will be meeting you for mapping purposes? As we get closer to the date, I will be able to give you an approximate time of our arrival to you.

Also, please find attached a copy of our location release, which grants us permission to come to your property with our cameras to videotape the interview. You can fill this out and scan/email or fax it back to me at the number below. We can provide you with a copy of our certificate of insurance if you require it.

Please note that you or anyone who appears on camera will have to sign an appearance release. Anyone under 18 who appears must have parental consent.


If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.

Thank you very much for your time and we look forward to meeting you on August 13.

Justin Paul
Coordinating Producer
State Penn Productions
Here is my short reply
Dear Mr. Paul:

I am in receipt of the contract that was sent to our office and I forwarded it to our attorney for review. I have been advised that the nature of Greg Giraldo is to perform insult comedy etc. In previous communication I was under the impression that this project was in pursuit of a serious news story. In as much as this is not the case, I am declining your offer. Thank you! . . . Thomas Robb

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The "Jerry Springer Show," which I never watch, offends me with its blatant stupidity more than words can say.

Of course you do not put yourself into this situation, for no self-respecting person would.

I would do the same thing as you are doing and eschew these interviews.